092.   Chiesa di S. Bartolomeo all'Isola        


    Chiesa di S Bartolomeo all'Isola
  1. Convento de PP Osservanti
  2. Parte del Ponte Cestio
  3. Parte del Ponte Fabrizio
  4. Chiesa di S Gregorio a ponte 4 Capi
  5. Parte di Roma

In Book V this view of the central piazza of Isola Tiberina falls between the island's two end views, suggesting a topographical logic not always apparent in the Magnificenze. What Vasi presents here as an enclosed piazza in front of the island church of S. Bartolomeo has lost much of its definition since the late 19th century demolition of all of the buildings on the right. In this view we see Vasi drawing the scene next to a lapide (A) (inscribed stone tablet) actually located, according to the caption, in the Franciscan Monastery (1) attached to the church (see below). The only visual reference to the island as a separate element of the city is the sketchy indication on the left of the 1st century BC Ponte Fabricio (3) Plate 93, known since medieval times as Ponte Quattro Capi. Vasi reminds us of the insular character of this part of the city by labeling the street opening on the right as "part of the Ponte Cestio" (2), and the buildings at extreme left as "part of Rome" (5). The 10th century church of S. Bartolomeo was built on the ruins of the ancient temple of Aesculapius, god of medicine. Its Baroque facade dates from the 1620s. In the Renaissance the hospital of Fatebenefratelli, the corner of which is visible at extreme left, continued the hospital function accorded to the temple in antiquity. Largely rebuilt in 1930, it remains one of Rome's major hospitals to this day. The Franciscan monastery (1) with its tall tower on its left incorporates the remains of a medieval stronghold belonging to the powerful Caetani family. In this print Vasi manages to include a distant view of the church of S. Gregorio a Ponte Quattro Capi (4). Rebuilt in 1730, it has survived the buildings surrounding it, which were demolished for the late 19th century building of the river walls.

Click here to view this plate in the Interactive Grand Tour.

   

Jim Tice, Erik Steiner, Allan Ceen, and Dennis Beyer
Department of Architecture and InfoGraphics Lab, Department of Geography, University of Oregon

Copyright © 2008 University of Oregon. All rights reserved. This website was made possible by a 2006 grant from The Getty Foundation.