029.   Piazza Giudia        


    Piazza Giudia
  1. Portone del Ghetto degli Ebrei
  2. Supplicio p li malviventi
  3. Casamento con iserizione
  4. Strada di Pescaria
  5. Cantone della Ch di S Maria del Pianto

The Piazza Giudea constituted the main access to the walled Jewish Ghetto which had been set up by Paul IV (1555-59) with the papal bull entitled "Cum nimis absurdum" issued shortly after his election. In his map index Nolli refers to it as "Piazza Giudea fuori [outside] del Ghetto," to distinguish it from the piazza inside the enclosure (NN 1026) which can be glimpsed through the arch of the large gate, portone (1), at the right. The corner building on the left is the house of Lorenzo Manili (3), an instructive example of the result of a decree by Sixtus IV (1471-84) which allowed resident owners of buildings to buy out the adjacent structures if their owners did not reside in them. This building is made up of three distinct houses united by the elaborate ground floor inscription in large Roman letters in which Manili grandiloquently declares his participation in the rebirth of the Urbs, ending with the date referencing the founding of the city in 753 BC (AB VRB[E] CON[DITA] M•M•CCXXI --- 2221 since the founding of the city = 1468 AD). Manili's house is on Strada della Pescaria (4), now called Via del Portico d'Ottavia, which defines the left edge the piazza and leads to Piazza di Pescaria, Plate 29A. Everything to the right of this street except the church of S. Maria del Pianto (5) was demolished between 1885 and 1899 when the Ghetto was razed by the new post-papal government. The fountain which is framed by the gibbet (2) a reminder that the piazza was a place for public executions, was moved around the corner to Via del Progresso (recently renamed Piazza delle 5 Scole, recalling a former space in the Ghetto).,

Click here to view this plate in the Interactive Grand Tour.

   

Jim Tice, Erik Steiner, Allan Ceen, and Dennis Beyer
Department of Architecture and InfoGraphics Lab, Department of Geography, University of Oregon

Copyright © 2008 University of Oregon. All rights reserved. This website was made possible by a 2006 grant from The Getty Foundation.